Thursday, July 14, 2011

July's Book Intro

by Alexia

It all started out when I took a quiz online based on a theory called Myers-Briggs (named after their inventors, of course).  I was blown away by how this Myers chick knew me better than I knew myself when I read the write-up on me.  It was pretty awesome, and I learned a lot about myself and about others when I read Please Understand Me II, which was written by Keirsey, a psychologist who studied the theory for 20 years after writing his original book on the theory called Please Understand Me.

A quick synopsis is that your results are 4 letters, with each letter having two options 1) Introversion vs. Extroversion, 2) iNtuitive vs. Sensing, 3) Thinking vs. Feeling, 4) Perceptive vs. Judging.  Your results also will allow you to see whether or not you are balanced between the 4 options and do not directly fall into one category or the other.  Basically there are 16 possible categories people fall into, which are put into groupings of Artisian, Guardian, Idealist, or Rational based on whether people are SP, SJ, NF, or NT, respectively.  (These guys share similar life objectives which are courage, home, heart, and brain if any of you are interested in The Wizard of Oz...)

Then you read the book and learn all about yourself (and what makes you tick--some of which you knew but just couldn't put into words before now) and about why you do or do not relate well to others (there are GRAPHS in here gals!).  If you're married/dating/crushing on someone you can test their personality type as well and read about what both the most wonderful and most challenging parts of your relationship will be due to traits you each bring with you, there's also a chapter on employment and the strengths/weaknesses each personality brings and the situations in which they preform best, AND you can read about the potential difficulties with children of similar/differing letters from you (or find out why you and your parents did or did not get along).

So, it's pretty awesome.  Prepare to be astounded and to better fend for yourself and understand others.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment